Thursday 17 July 2014

Exhibits part 2

The ‘Exhibit’ series is inspired by my love of Film Noir. The cut up text serves as the ‘MacGuffin’ – the motivator or object that drives the plot of a film (for example, the statue in ‘The Maltese Falcon’ or the meaning of ‘rosebud’ in ‘Citizen Kane’). I see it being found clutched tightly in a murder victim’s hand, the sole clue to the crime that would drive the convoluted and elaborate plot that Film Noir is renowned for. The text is cut from a page of a novel. I scan through the prose to find ‘poems’ or phrases by linking words from sentences. In my variation of the cut up technique, I must be able to cut the ‘poem’ I create out in one section. This is distinct from the cut up technique of cutting out words or strips of words and re-arranging them randomly.

























No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments, I may not reply to them all but they do get read. Honest.